Monday, November 15, 2010

Fun Art 101: An Introduction

“You never know when you're making a memory.”
- Rickie Lee Jones

Have you ever stopped in the middle of what you're doing to ask yourself, “What kind of memory is this creating?” Except on a birthday or a holiday, I know I never did. That's why this quote hit me like a ton of bricks when I saw it on a postcard, back when my children were still rather young.
Think about it, every time you are in the presence of a child, you are creating a memory, either good or bad. Pretty daunting.

One of the joys I receive from implementing my toddler arts enrichment classes is knowing that I am able to create a special time for the child and parent to step out of the “have to'” of the day into a fun, memorable moment. The classes are actually structured as a “mommy and me” (or daddy and me) format. I learned during these classes that many parents, while enjoying the art activities with their child, did not do a lot of them at home, mostly from a lack of inspiration or information. In the coming blogs labeled “Fun Art 101”, I will be providing very basic instruction and ideas to give parents or child care givers a way to get started in assisting their little artists in the creative process.

No comments:

Post a Comment